Friday, March 9, 2012

Supplies: Gilders Paste

I've had my eye on Baroque Art's Gilders Paste for some time but only purchased a pot recently from Artbeads. It comes in a 1.5oz tin and sort of looks and smells like shoe polish. But what is it actually? It's a waxy tinted adhesive that you can use to add color or highlights to a variety of materials such as metal, wood, resin, ceramics, etc.

I got a pot of Guilders Paste in Patina because I love that turquoise oxidized look. You can use a rag or a brush or your fingers to apply it. I opted for a dried-up wet wipe.


I used a sweater guard I made a while back for this experiment. Ok time to try this stuff on the bee brass stampings. Just a light smudge...


I was supposed to put some on just the wings but eager fingers weren't so careful. I ended up getting it all over. :(


The bee on the right is my second attempt. Now that's better. I'm really liking Gilders Paste. Just a little goes a loooong way. It takes just a few minutes to become dry to the touch and 12 hours to completely cure. Beautiful effect too. The finish adds more interest to the stampings, like I unearthed this sweater guard from my grandma's chest of vintage goodies. Will definitely be trying out some other colors of this product too.



No comments:

Post a Comment